Sunday, 9 November 2014

Preemie Rag Quilt

Always on the lookout for quick and easy projects that could benefit Emily's Star, I was delighted to stumble across a tutorial for rag quilting on Facebook newsfeed... Why have I never thought of this before!?

So on Friday evening I got to work on a preemie rag quilt, and just an hour later this is what I had...




I am delighted with the outcome and can't wait to make a few more before sending them off to Emily's Star... Fingers crossed they like them too!

Explorer hoodie remix

My lovely parents spoiled me rotten last month and bought me a new sewing machine for my 30th. It's a Janome 7025 and I am in love!

This machine has so many more functions and capabilities than my last so I decided to tests a few things out by making an Explorer Hoodie.

Unfortunately I did not have enough knit fabric fabric to follow the instructions to the word. Instead I mixed it up with short sleeves and with woven waistband and hood trim.

Using on,y fabric from my refashion and stash piles, I had to get a bit creative. I wasn't sure this combination would work but I think I have just about pulled it off...



To sew the knit fabric and construct the main parts of the top, I used a special knit stitch that also overlocks. I didn't think ahead to the impact this would have on piecing it together with the woven fabrics; the seam allowance created by using the stretch stitch was much less than the seam allowance detailed in the pattern... Oops! Because I was using up bits from my stash I couldn't recut pieces so had to make the best out of it that I could. To cut a long story short, I made it work, but decided it would be best not to add elastic to the waistband.

The little lady likes the top and wanted to keep it on all day (despite the cooling temperatures), so I guess you can call it a success. If nothing else, the project involved enough techniques to give the new machine a good test.

Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Charity Projects

Life has been busy so unfortunately crafting has taken a bit of a back seat recently. However, I have found some time to work on a few charity projects for my favourite local charity: Emily's Star.


The scottie dog cardi is another Emily Cardi, this time in DK, making it the larger 5lb size.

I used all the scrappy bits of yarn from previous projects to make a little incubator sized blanket, again using DK.

And I finished off this set with a preemie kimono-style dress/robe. It is made with organic quilting cotton and lined with a super-soft flannel. The shoulders and front are fastened with plastic kam snaps, allowing for easy dressing of tiny/very poorly babies.

Having posted a photo of the kimono on my Facebook page and receiving lots of positive feedback, I decided to do a little redrafting and make a few more.



The fronts on these kimonos overlaps a little more and some of the front fastenings have ribbons with concealed kam snaps.

They are so simple and quick to whizz up, I am sure I will be making more of in the future.