Thursday, 9 January 2014

Another Geranium!

As I am sure most of you are already aware, I am in love with the Geranium dress/top pattern by Rae at Made-By-Rae. I have made quite a few of the different variations outlined in the pattern (you can see them here, here, here, here and here) and recently I had a go at makng a few changes of my own to it.

I used the size 4 pattern (although my neice is only just three, she is tall and growing like a weed) with the faux-cap sleeves and pleated skirt. I lengthened the bodice (to sit at the waist) and shortened the skirt by the same amount. I then created a plain colour-block-type band for the top of the bodice and bottom of the skirt.

(Please excuse the poor quality photo and the fact that the bottom hem is not complete!).

For the main fabric I used a floral cotton with a black background and bright multi-coloured flowers. The blocked bands are a dark mauve cotton, as is the bodice lining.

As I had extended the bodice, I did not extend the back opening down into the skirt. once I had made this decision and sewn up the dress I did have a little panic about whether my niece would get the dress on. Luckily it worked out fine. It took me a long time to settle on closures for the back. I considered both brightly coloured plastic snaps and mauve buttons. In the end I asked me sister-in-law what she thought was best and she suggested concealed snaps, possibly with buttons over the top for show; my 3-year-old niece is super-independent and likes to dress and undress herself, often ripping off buttons in the rush. So I settled on a few large concealed metal snaps. I also added one single clear purple bead-type button to the top, on the mauve band to add a bit of fancy.

The little lady certainly liked the dress; when she tried it on to check the length before hemming, she tried to convince me to let her keep it on and take it home, without the hem complete! Luckily I had it complete in time for her 3rd birthday, just before Christmas, and she wore it to her birthday party. Here she is...

Monday, 6 January 2014

Baby Girl Gifts

It has been a while since I last posted... I still am without a properly functioning laptop and unfortunately the trial with the Blogger phone app did not go well; the app was rubbish and I had a success rate of about 1 in 30 attempts at actually publishing posts. On top of that, the past couple of months have been super busy with starting a new job and trying to seel my house and buy a new one. I am still in house selling/ buying limbo and awaiting a date for exchanging contracts. So crafting has taken a bit of a back seat and blogging has most definitely fallen by the wayside.

However, in between the paperwork, chaising solicitors and packing boxes, I have managed to complete a few little projects and this is one of them...

This little hat, reversible top and shoe set was made for a friend who recently delivered a little girl. It is probably a little bit pink-overload but I did contrast with some mint coloured buttons to pick up the mint and blue in the floral print.


The shoes are a free pattern by Shwin and Shwin (one of many fab free shoe patterns!), available here and the hat was made using a tutorial that can be found here. The top was a bit of a wing-it project and as I was short on time  did not take photos for a tutorial... maybe some other time.

At the same time, a colleague of mine became a father to his first daughter (following two sons) so I couldn't resist whizzing up a little geranium dress for them.

I just love how quickly the Geranium dress comes together. The fabric used for this dress was some left-over oriental flower print that I bought from John-Lewis a while back. This is not the first Geranium dress that I have made using this fabric (and is probably not the lest either). This one is a prett basic version, with cap sleeves, gathered waist and coral coloured snap closures at the back. Simple but hopefully also effective.

Watch this space for another Geranium dress variation, coming soon...