Saturday, 15 June 2013

'Unbirthday' Geranium Dress

Since my niece was a Christmas baby, she has two birthday celebrations (a bit like the queen!). She has a birthday party with her little friends when it is her actual birthday, but half-way through the year in June we also have an 'unbirthday' celebration where she gets presents from her grandparents and aunts and uncles. She gets summery outdoors-type presents that she can enjoy straight away and it is a littler gentler on our wallets as we don't have to pay out for birthday and Christmas presents all in one go (very important since my nephew also has a Christmas birthday!).
 
So next weekend is the little lady's 'unbirthday' celebration and myself and her uncle have bought her a ridiculously fun and a little outrageous present... the sort that is a child's dream, a parent's nightmare and something that only aunts and uncles can get away with giving to a child without being blacklisted from birthday parties forever more! But I also wanted to give her something that is just from me...
 
Geranium dress with piping
Geranium dress with piping 
  
I am still very much in love with the Geranium Dress pattern from Made by Rae, so decided to make her another one (she already has a top and a dress). This dress has a pleated skirt, faux-cap sleeves and notched neckline. The fabric is cotton poplin in an oriental floral print (not sure of the designer, but it bought it in John Lewis).
 
The print is a quite busy so I decided to add some black piping to give some structure. It was the first time I have made and used piping and I am definitely a fan... it wasn't anywhere near as scary to do as I thought it would be. I coordinated the piping with big shiny black buttons for the back closure.
 
 
Geranium dress with piping
 
 
Geranium dress with piping
Geranium dress with piping
 
Geranium dress with piping
 
 
Geranium dress with piping
Geranium dress with piping
 
Since the weather here in the UK is proving to be a little unpredictable this summer I decided to also make a little cardigan for the chillier days. I am a big fan of Rowan patterns and recently purchased Rowan Studio Issue 30 which has some great patterns, including this gorgeous bolero cardi...
 
 
Rowan bolero cardigan  
 
  
I used Patons Fairytale Soft DK in vanilla, which picks up the vanilla coloured flowers in the dress fabric.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rowan bolero cardigan
 
The textured pattern in the design, which is made up of a knit 1 below stitch surrounded by purl stitches (on the right side) is also flower/starburst shaped and so picks up the fabric pattern too.
 
 
 
 
And here is the complete outfit...
 
Geranium dress with piping

No comments:

Post a Comment