Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Girlie Shorts

A few weeks ago an unusually hot bank-holiday weekend got me right into the mood for sewing shorts. I whizzed up three pairs each for my niece and nephew and shared the little guy shorts (and cropped trousers) here. I promised a post about the girl to follow, but life has been a little crazy these past couple of weeks and so blogging has been on hold. But as promised, today I am sharing the girlie shorts.
 
CailaMade shorts
 
 
The little lady has two pairs of denim shorts and one pair of thicker jersey cropped trousers. The fabric from all three came from my refashion pile (once upon a time they were a pair of worn jeans and a mishapen hoodie). The trims/ facings came from my scrap bag. So these shorts really were a bargain project.
 

I made these little denim shorts using the free pattern at CailaMade as a starting point. I changed-up the pattern a little by adding pockets to the front and took advantage of the original wide jean hems. I also decided to use facing on the waistband as I was worried a double layer of denim would be too thick and bulky on a toddler's waist.
 
The pockets are faced with some bright pink polycotton, which I turned under to leave a thin edging of pink peeking out. I then found this lovely blue, white and pink floral polka-dot fabric in my scrap bag which coordinates beautifully with the pockets for a girlie touch.
 
 
 
 
I used the same pattern as a starting point for the second pair of denim shorts, but this time I added a tie-cuff to the bottom of the legs.
 
 

 
I really like the cut and fit of CailaMade's short pattern, but wanted to make it a little more exciting. This idea came to me as I was hunting through my scrap bag and found a ridiculously long but thin piece of left-over Midwest Modern - just enough for wasit-band facing and leg-cuffs. So I cut a semi-circle from the bottom of each outside leg seam and made some bias from the Midwest Modern to finish the edges. Then I made the cuffs with long strips centred on the inside leg seam.




 
 
 











The jersey cropped trousers were a little trickier as I had to draft a pattern for them. The original hoodie had some interesting seams, great textured applique and a lovely flower print that I wanted to make the most of. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo before I started cutting so you will have to believe me when I say that the only way to make use of the applique was to create a curved yolk at the back below the waistband. The waistband itself was made using the rib from the bottom of the hoodie, with its original finishing. At the front, the original flower print wraps around from the back yolk to add some girlie magic to an otherwise quite masculine-coloured fabric.
 
 
 
 
Now all we need is for the sun to make another appearance so the kiddies can give their shorts a test-run.
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. These are so cute, Jo! I love how you took the shorts pattern and added unique details, making it totally your own. You have one lucky girl! :)

    ReplyDelete