Tuesday, 2 April 2013

The Jessica Top

A pretty little top for a pretty little girl...



















I made this little top one evening last week for my friend's daughter Jessica. If I had thought it through I would have taken photos as I went and then written a tutorial. However, as with most of my projects, I made it up as I went along and was so engrossed in what I was doing I forgot to take photos or even make a note of what I did in what order.
 
But I absolutely love the top, so there is a chance I will (attempt to) make another one for my niece, and if I do then I will make sure I take photos. The fabric, which came from my refashion pile, is currently my favourite and I wish I had enough of it to make another Jessica Top in the same fabric. I have been keeping my eye out for something similar but nothing has grabbed my attention yet.
 
For this top I used a basic bodice pattern that I had drafted from one of my nieces t-shirts (aged two years). I increased the width of the front at the centre to allow for the pleat and made sure I allowed lots of fabric for a wide button band on the centre back. You will notice that there are seams down the front of the bodice running from the centre of the shoulders. As the fabric was from my refashion pile, I had to incoroporate these pre-existing seams into my design. With some creativity and careful placement and cutting I have managed to make the seams line up nicely with the pleats in the 'skirt' part of the top and actually really like the effect. Knowing me though, if I try to recreate this in the future it will probably go all wrong!
 
The back of the top has buttons going all the way down and the 'skirt' part has pleats that mirror those on the front. The button band and the hem are wide, hopefully to contrast with the 'busy' pattern. The top bodice part is lined with plain white cotton and the armholes and neckline finished with topstitching.
 
 
Jessica's mummy was really pleased with this suprise gift, fingers crossed that little Jessica likes it just as much!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment