Friday, 5 April 2013

Knitting for Emily's Star

This weekend I am off to a very special event - A balloon release to celebrate the first birthday of Emily's Star.
 
Emily's Star is a non-profit organisation (soon to be a registered charity) that was set up in memory of baby Emily, who was born with Trisomy 18 (Edwards Syndrome) and died just 26 days after her birth. Emily's parents hope to raise awareness of Edwards Syndrome and other Trisomy conditions. Emily's Star raise money to support the children's complex needs nursing team in my town and also provide special boxes for families with babies in the neonatal unit. These boxes are filled with all sorts of practical and comforting things that parents and preemie/underweight babies may need in the early days.
 
I have been trying to do my bit to support this fantastic organisation by knitting up some preemie cardis and hats to go into these special neonatal boxes. And here are a few of them...


Girl's Cardigans
I have scoured pattern books and the internet for the perfect preemie pattern... one without too many seams that may be uncomfortable to lie on, a neckline that doesn't rise too high under the chin, sleeves that aren't too long and with loose cuffs to allow room for lines and medical leads etc... and haven't had much luck. Instead, I have settled on creating my own version, which combines all the best features of lots of different patterns I have tried out. The version that I have settled on is the one I used for the three girl's cardis (above).
 
Below are a few more cardigans and some teeny tiny hats...
 
Boy's Cardigans
More Girl's Cardigans

















 

Beanie Hats

 

No comments:

Post a Comment