Monday, 29 April 2013

KCW Spring 2013 - Something for the Girls

I am still absolutely in love with the Geranium Dress pattern by Rae and decided to use KCW to make the dress version (up until now I have only made tops). In fact, I made two identical dresses, one in a 2T for a friend's daughter and one in a 3T for my niece.

Geranium DressGeranium Dress
 
 
I can't really tell you much about the fabric, other than that I bought it in a destash sale on Etsy and it is a JoAnns fabric. It's a really lovely soft cotton, and the bright butterflies are really fun and girlie.
 
For these dresses I chose flutter sleeves, a plain neckline and a gathered skit. However, I did make one big change to the skirt. I used a little less width on the skirt and instead of gathering all the way around, I only gathered the centre of the front and the centre sections of each back section (and I cut the skirt in one long width of fabric rather than three pieces). I made this decision because the skirt is quite long and on a toddler, the length combined with a lot of gathering could be a bit combersome and inpractical. Plus I inteneded for these to be fun, light summer dresses that the girls could play in comfortably rather than something fancy.


 


I used bright pink plastic snaps for the black closure, simply because they matched nicely and I had lots of them lying around. They are also quite practical for dressing wriggly toddlers.
 
 
 
My niece tried her dress on yesterday and it fit perfectly and looked very pretty. Now we just need some sun so she can actually wear it out without freezing to death!

UPDATE... and the sun arrived just in time for the bank holiday

Geranium DressGeranium Dress

 

2 comments: