Sunday, 28 April 2013

KCW Spring 2013 - Boy's Projects

I haven't had much time for blogging this week, as I have been trying to juggle a busy work schedule and taking part in Kids Clothes Week. For those of you who don't know about KCW, it is basically a seasonal challenge to devote an hour a day for a week to creating clothing for kids. Although I don't have kids of my own, KCW was a great excuse to get creating for my niece and nephew. And the website and flicker group have lots of great ideas for creating seasonal outfits.
 
As I was a little pushed for time, I started out with an easy knitting project that I could squeeze into the little blocks of time that I had.
 

Rowan Floyd Vest
 

 
 
This is the Floyd vest from Rowan's Miniature Classics. Although my nephew is only 4 months old, he is very big and long. So I decided to knit this up in the 6-9 month size. And I am so glad I did, because it fits him perfectly already. I used Patons Smoothie yarn in a teal colour which suits him perfectly, with his fair skin and hair and big grey-blue eyes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I used shell buttons finish the cute mock pocket and for the button closures at the back.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was hoping to make the little guy a cotton button-up/collared shirt to wear under the vest. In the past I have made him the Baby Boy Button Up by Jessica and MeSewCrazy and loved it. However, being a size 3-6 month pattern, there was no point making another as this BIG 'little guy' would get hardly any (if any) wear out of it. So instead, I decided to make him some trousers to go, using some bits out of my refashion pile and a cute star-print cotton that I bought recently from a destash sale on Etsy.
 
 
I kind of winged this project, going at it with only a vague idea in my head and making it up as I went along. I purchesed the cute star print fabric a few weeks back and in my mind it was always going to be used for trouser turn-ups and finihsings like waistband lining and pockets... who doesn't love a splash of colour and pattern poking out here and there?! The demin and the khaki rib came from my refashion pile and once upon a time were part of a pair of ill-fitting adult jeans and a very worn hoodie.
 
  
 

 
 
 
 
 
There are lots of things I really like about these trousers, especially the tabs with poppers for holding the turn-ups in place. And the fact that although I aimed for a 6-12 month size trouser, the little man can wear them now turned up and they should still fit him for a while once they are turned down.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


However, there are also a few things I don't like... namely that by winging it and not putting enough planning into this project, I failed to realised that tapering the leg in would make it difficult to turn up the bottoms. A simple error, but all the more frustrating in that I have made the exact same error before so should not have done it again. Needless to say, the pattern I drafted for these now has (in big bold letters) the sentence "Do not taper for turn-ups!" scrawled across it.
 
So all in all this was a semi-successful project for the little guy. The vest is perfect and should see him through the unpredictable spring weather we are having. The trousers aren't perfect, but they are pretty cute and Little Guy's mummy loves them. I would have liked to complete the outfit with a shirt but that just wasn't meant to be... hint hint Jessica, can you upscale the Baby Boy Button Up? Pretty Please!

2 comments: