Friday, 18 January 2013

The 'Hungry Caterpillar' Cardi

This little project has been a long time in the making but now that it is finally finished I am excited to share this little cardigan with you.



I started this project way back in the summer - It's a Rowan pattern from Miniature Classics, called Sunny - I have been in love with this pattern for a long time and knew I would make it for Little Man at some point. However, it combines three of my least favourite things when knitting... tiny needles, 4-ply yarn and cables. These three things together make for very slow progress... I'll feel like I have done loads of knitting and then look down and the piece is only a cm or two longer.


I decided not to use cotton as suggested in the pattern because I wanted something softer and lighter for a newborn. I went for white as it goes with everything and when it came to buttons decided to go for something completely different and jazzy - polka dot buttons! The colours on the buttons remind me of one of my favourite children's books - The Very Hungry Caterpillar - which is also the theme of Little Man's nursery (and the book I am sharing with my class this week), so I just couldn't resist.



So with the colourful buttons and the squiggly cables, this cardigan has quickly become known as Little Man's 'Hungry Caterpillar' cardi.

1 comment: