Friday, 21 December 2012

The matching hat and mittens

So having questioned if I would find time to make a hat and mittens to go with Peewee's Christmas coat, I decided to just bite the bullet and get on with it this evening. The hat and mittens are made using the same lime green fleece as the coat lining, but the colours in the photos below are a bit out as I used my phone to take them.
 
My favourite go-to pattern and tutorial for baby/toddler hats is by Jessica at Sewing Our Life Together and I used this to whizz up the hat.

Instead of the pompom on top I created a flower shape. I did this by cutting the strips shorter and with a curved edge. I then gathered across the width of each strip at the middle and layered them up with a button on top.

















I embellished the hat with a few little pink flowers and buttons on the front just to make it a little girlier and to break up the lime green-ness.
 
To make the mittens I started out with a pattern I found over at ikatbag, making just a couple of changes as I went along. The mittens are reversible so Peewee will be able to wear them either as lime green or pale pink. In the past I have always put mittens on a ribbon, and may still end up doing this. But having already wrapped the coat up and put it under the tree I don't know how much ribbon to cut. I'll see how she gets on with loose mittens, but have a  feeling I will be getting the ribbon out in the new year.



No comments:

Post a Comment