Friday, 21 December 2012

A Christmas Coat

Although I haven't had much time for blogging lately, I have found some snippets of time for a Christmas project for my niece - A winter coat. I drafted up the pattern using Peewee's measurement and a basic bodice pattern, making a few changes along the way as I went. Maybe one day I will find some time to draft it out properly and share it here...
 

 
 


The fabric is a black cotton with pale yellow, pink, blue, orange and green polka dots (just in case that's not clear from the photos). Once upon a time this fabric was a skirt, but it never looked quite right on me so I have never actually worn it out. As always, I forgot to take a photo of the original skirt, so you will just have to imagine what it may have looked like.
 
 
 
The coat is lined in lime green fleece, a bit of a change from the usual girlie pinks and purples. I also made pockets using the same lime green fleece which will hopefully keep her little hands nice a snug.  I'm hoping to find some time before Christmas to whizz up a fleece hat and mittens to go with it, but we will have to wait and see if that actually happens. I managed to find some  flower buttons in a similar colour to the fleece. In my head I was imaginging big square buttons but couldnt find any. But I like how the flower buttons look, and they do add a bit more of a girlie feel. Since Peewee is wanting to be more independent now (and will need to be once her little brother arrives), the buttons are actually just for show - the coat fastens with snap fastenings/ poppers.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment