Sunday, 28 October 2012

Speedy little autumn basics

A little while back I posted about some toddler corduroy skirts that I made, in preparation for the cooler autumn weather. I had a reasonable sized piece of the dusky pink cord left and decided to use this to make a simple pinafore style dress for my (almost) two-year-old niece... a staple for any little girl's autumn wardrobe.
 
 
 
I had a scrap of contrasting bright pink polycotton left over from another project and used this to create a lining for the top portion of the dress (I didn't have enough to line the whole dress, but never mind). It gave a nice finished edge to the neckline and arm-holes, which I then topstitched. I also found a scrap of MidWest Modern - Garden Maze in tan (by Amy Butler) which was just perfect for a little butterfly motif.
 
 
 
I created a simple A-line dress pattern piece and used this for both the front and back (pattern available here). I created a back opening from the centre of the neck, down approximately 5 inches and added a button band type thing to the right side. I shaped the back neckline so that it sloped down to the opening, rather than curving (like the front).
 
 
 
I recently discovered the joy of KAM snap fasteners (and have probably now have a bit of an obsession with them)... They are so quick and simple to attach, come in lots of great colours and designs and are also realtively cheap. And the best bit is... no need to sew buttonholes! I used 3 bright pink snaps on the back opening, which do actually match the colour of the lining (for some reason they look red in the photo, but they are most definitely bright pink!).
 
This dress is nothing fancy, but it will get lots of wear. And being so simple, it was a quick and satisfying little project for a Friday night in. Watch this space for more cord projects (which may also have an abundance of snap fasteners... like I said, I think I have an obsession!).

And here's the little lady modelling the dress...







 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment