Sunday, 2 September 2012

More blue

Its the last day of summer break and tomorrow I am back to work, meaning less time for crafting. I also have a feeling that this year's class will be keeping me on my toes, so my evenings will involve lots of vegging on the sofa rather than creating at my sewing machine.
 
So this weekend I have packed in as much sewing as possible and today's project is The Cozy Waiscoat.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I drafted a basic pattern using using a onesie and a pattern for a loose boy's tunic top to guide me on size and shaping. Since it was an untested pattern I decided to use fabric from my refashion pile, rather than cutting into new fabric. I used some blue linen mix fabric left over from the skirt to dress refashion I did a while back and lined the waistcost in white cotton jersey from an old t-shirt. Since my nephew is due at Christmas I wanted it to be nice and warm so I added a layer of thin wadding between the layers.



I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially since it was a first attempt and I had to be a bit creative with cutting since the fabric was leftovers. I had intended to cut the back as one piece but didnt have a piece big enough. The original skirt was panelled and the seam down the back is an original seam between panels of the skirt. Now I see it like this, I think the seam is a nice feature and will probably incorporate it into the design when I make this in future. The collar is a little shorter than I wanted (it should extend right to the centre edge on each side) but again, I was slightly short of material and had to stitch two strips together as it is (not helped by my very poor alignment of the centre seam of the back and the collar... oops!).
 
Because of a shortage of fabric I decided to have the front pieces meet in the centre (rather than overlap) and to have a button and loop fastening. With more fabric I might try it with the overlap and buttons/buttonholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment