Saturday, 7 July 2012

More shorts!

A while back I took some fabric from some old trousers and used it to make the balloon shorts. The fabric is pretty lightweight making it cool enough for summer, but being a dark colour makes them versatile enough to be worn in cooler weather with tights/leggings under. So I decided to use what was left to make another pair of toddler shorts. After trawling all my favourite blogs for inspiration, I finally stumbled across the Pocket Capris Tutorial over at Elephants and Elegance.

As a starting point, I used a pretty standard pattern for elasticated waist trousers that I think probably originally came from Emma Hardy's book Making Children's Clothes (but I can't be certain). I shortened the legs and shaped them a bit at the inner leg seams and followed the Pocket Capris Tutorial for all the pockets.




I teamed up the grey fabric with some cute airplane print fabric (from the Monsterz Range by Cloud 9). I decided to add the bow to the front of the shorts as I was worried the airplanes made the shorts look a little masculine. Hopefully it's enough of a finishing touch to girlie them up!

3 comments:

  1. How cute! I love how they turned out. I especially think the use contrasting fabric was a nice touch. I'm so glad my tutorial helped you make such an adorable pair of shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Love the bow too, really works in adding more femininity to the shorts :) Cute!

    ReplyDelete