Sunday, 22 July 2012

Looking ahead to the autumn...

I love sewing because there are so many projects that you can be whizzed up in a couple of hours for almost instantaneous satisfaction. However, there are probably few things as satisfying in crafting, as completing a knitting project.

So today I am sharing with you my latest knitting project - A cosy jumper/pullover for my niece, ready for cooler autumn weather. 

















She is nineteen months old right now and I followed the 2-year-old measurements so it should last her through autumn and winter. It's the biggest knitting project I have undertaken but the pattern is pretty simple, and uses double-knit yarn and 4mm needles, so it shouldn't have taken too long to knit-up.  However, with it being summer I've felt less inclined to pick up the knitting needles (there's something a bit odd-feeling about knitting winter clothes in summer) and it took a lot longer than it should have. The plus side to knitting in summer though is that you can often pick up really nice yarns at bargain prices (this makes me think I'm not the only person who knits less in summer). And the yarn I picked up at a bargain price for this project happened to be my all time favourite 'belle organic dk' from Rowan by Amy Butler. It's 50% organic wool and 50% organic cotton - so soft and silky! And it comes in a really wide range of colours, including some great bright and rich colours. I also used a Rowan pattern - 'Starr' from Miniture Classics.



Everything about the top is simple and classic, which I love. And with the cute star, pretty edging and a few sparkly buttons on the back, I think it will be the perfect addition to a little girl's autumn wardrobe. What do you think?

And I'm pleased to report that the little lady must really like it... despite temperatures in the high 20s today, she wanted to put the top straight on and model it for us!



No comments:

Post a Comment