Sunday, 1 July 2012

Fitted Apron Top


A little while ago I stumbled across a tutorial for a apron-style top (open/ tied back) over at Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom. I briefly thought about making one for my niece as the top is super cute, but came to the conclusion it's probably not really a good style for a toddler. So I decided to pop the page into my favourites until I found the right person to make one for. I didn't have to wait long though, as this week I was invited to a birthday lunch for one of my goddaughter's who is now 8. I didn't have her individual measurements but the style of the top allows some leeway, so I drew up a pattern using standard 8-year-old girl measurements.




I used the the rest of the Midwest Modern - Garden Maze fabric (Amy Butler) that I bought last week and coordinated it with Happy Dots from the same range).



















The back is really interesting, with the shoulders passing through loops to tie in a big bow.

Looking at the finished top, I can now see how I could alter the pattern to make a toddler-friendly dress by joining the bottom section of the bodice (which would become the skirt). And being a little lazy, I love the idea of making a dress with no fiddly button holes or zips. What do you guys think?



1 comment:

  1. I love the fabrics you used on this top! I am glad it worked for you!
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete