Sunday, 3 June 2012

Refashion part 2 - The balloon shorts

I had planned to spend my day gardening but the great British weather spoiled my plans. So instead I decided to indulge in some more sewing time.


I have been swooning over the 'Paper Bag Pants' tutorial and free pdf pattern over at 'Shwin&Shwin' for what seems like forever, but I havent had the right fabric. For toddler trousers the fabric has to be hard-wearing, but the gathering in this pattern mean that it also has to be pretty thin.


So imagine my joy when I found these in my big pile of refashion clothes from Mum!




The fabric - a light weight woven tweedy type fabric (sorry for the poor description) - is just perfect for the trousers. However, being optimistic, I decided not to let the weather sway my choice of project and altered the pattern to make some cute shorts. And the dark colour of the fabric lends itself well to making shorts that can either be worn on sunny days with a cute t-shirt, or with tights and a cosy top on those very british, grey days. To fit with the tights option I decided to gather the bottoms, resulting in a poofy look and my name for the shorts - Balloon Shorts.


So here they are...



And here they are on...







Sorry about the picture quality, but my niece is a typical toddler and never stands still for long!








Let me know what you think...

1 comment: