Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Never pass up a freebie pattern...

This week Shwin&Schwin have been offering up a freebie pattern for a kid's top/dress called The Pleated Penny. Unable to walk away from a cute freebie I set to whizzing one up this evening. From start to finish this little top took me only 2 hours and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I changed the straps a little. At the front I turned the points under to neaten it up. Then I attached shoulder straps to the back which secure to the front with a popper/snap fastner. The buttons on the front of the straps are just for show. I know it's lazy, but I couldn't be bothered to make buttonholes this evening and sometimes I think snaps work better for toddlers anyway as they rarely stay still for long enough to get buttons fastened. I also made the top slightly shorter than the pattern stated simply because I didn't have quite enough length in the fabric I wanted to use (it was a funny shaped left over piece from a previous project).

I haven't decided if I prefer it loose or with the ribbon tie at the waist. I guess I will have to wait and see what it is like on. What do you guys think?

6 comments:

  1. I downloaded the pattern yesterday, and am excited to give it a go! Yours turned out beautifully! :) I'd love to see what it looks like on your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni. The tops for my niece so I will try and get some photos of her in i at some point.

      Delete
  2. Looks soo cute, I'll have to get one made too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the effort!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I love the fabric you picked! It took me significantly longer than 2 hours to do mine but I finished it last night and I love the way this shirt looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. The fabric was left over from another project. I wasn't sure what sort of pattern would work best with the pleats so I went for the simplest I had, with just small white polka dots. I want to make a couple more with this pattern. What sort of fabric did you use?

      Delete