Sunday, 10 June 2012

A girl can never have too many dresses...

Today I spent the afternoon shopping with my lovely Mum. I was on a mission to find the perfect little black dress and was so pleased to walk away with not one little black dress, but two! After all, a girl can never have too many dresses!

So this evening I decided to get stuck into another refashion project and make my niece another little dress (because little girls can also never have too many dresses). I started out with this old jersey-knit top...


I wasn't too sure about the print pattern for a little girl, but the interesting neckline and ties drew me in.

I used a favourite tried-and-tested pattern piece for the bodice shape, and kept the length in the top for the skirt. These are the pieces I cut...


When it came to putting together the side-seams I decided to take off some of the bodice width under the arms and angle it out more as it seemes a more natural fit. I also incorporated the original ties to help with shaping.

And this is how it turned out...


Front
Front


Front - Neckline Detail
Back - Tied










And of course, no dress is complete without matching knickers! The dress fabric has a pale yellow in it (not sure if that shows in the photos) so I decided to pick that up in the knickers, which I refashioned from an old t-shirt.





Let me know what you think...

4 comments:

  1. Hey - this is lovely! The blog is great - you have such attention to detail and clearly a very steady hand!
    Well done you, keep it up!
    anita x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! Love this! You are super talented!

    ReplyDelete