Monday, 25 June 2012

A bit of me-time

Last week was really hectic and I didn't have much time to indulge in the things I enjoy. So this weekend I decided to ring-fence some me-time.

On Sunday we had a little un-birthday tea-party for my niece (long story cut short... she has a Christmas birthday so we have decided to have family birthday presents in June and her kids party in December... this way we get to indulge her and buy lots of cool summer things like a trike and a wendy house). She didn't have a cake and candles (that would be too confusing for a little person) but I decided to make some fun summer cake-pops. So on Saturday I baked chocolate cake and I spent Sunday morning transforming said cake into cute critters.

I also managed to find some time this weekend to get sewing. Since we haven't had much sunshine (despite it being the end of June!) I've decided to put making summer dresses on hold and instead set about making some cotton tops that would be nice and cool for summer, but equally cute over a long-sleeved tee for chillier days. I used the 'Pretty in Pleats' tutorial over at craftinessisnotoptional.com and picked up a nice cheap fabric remnant of Midwest Modern in Garden Maze by Amy Butler. I had some buttons that matched perfectly in my button stash and decided to add three buttons to the front centre pleat.














The back of the top is made up of two pieces with buttons all the way down. Unfortunately the fabric dimensions didn't allow for me to make the pattern match up, so the two back pieces have a staggered pattern. It's not ideal but it will do.





1 comment: